[mythtv-users] Transcoding

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Dec 1 00:58:30 UTC 2008

On Sunday 30 November 2008 07:20:15 pm Paulin wrote:

> Let me try asking this again because I may not have explain it good.
>
> Right now it looks like when something records it finishes recording (60
> minutes later) then it runs the commercial flagging and then the
> transcoder. The transcoder takes as long as the program did (60minutes).
> So I'm wondering if it is possible to run the transcoder as it records
> instead of after.  The comercial flagging I could hold on till the end for.
>
> Basically the reason I'm asking is currently my front end can not handle HD
> recordings.  So I would like ti to be read by the card, transcoded, saved
> to disk, then played on front end before the show end.

AFAIK, you're out of luck. AFAIK, MythTV can only begin transcoding after the
recording is complete. MythTV is big and complex enough, though, that I may
be forgetting some obscure option somewhere.

That said, MythTV CAN do commflagging while the recording is still being made.
There's an option for that somewhere in one of the configuration screens, but
I don't recall where it is, or even if it's in one of the screens accessible
from the frontend or one in the backend configuration tool (mythtv-setup).
Thus, you can at least have it do the commflagging while the recording is
being made, then transcode it, and you'll at least have a commflagged show as
soon as the transcoding is done. (OTOH, if the commflagging takes longer than
the recording, you'll have to wait longer for the transcoding to begin.)

--
Rod Smith