[mythtv-users] Transcoding

Paulin paulin at spextreme.com
Mon Dec 1 00:20:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM, David Greaves <myth at dgreaves.com> wrote:

> Paulin wrote:
> > I've been recently playing around with transcoders and got something
> > working for reformatting HD so my frontend can handle it.
> >
> > Now I'm curious if there is a way to have the transcoder run as the
> > stream is read in.
> >
> > For example
> >     Video card -> mpeg2 stream -> transcode -> write to file
>
> Unless you're transcoding more quickly than real-time then the backlog of
> data
> in the stream will need to go somewhere; typically to disk...
>
> David

Let me try asking this again because I may not have explain it good.

Right now it looks like when something records it finishes recording (60
minutes later) then it runs the commercial flagging and then the transcoder.
 The transcoder takes as long as the program did (60minutes).   So I'm
wondering if it is possible to run the transcoder as it records instead of
after.  The comercial flagging I could hold on till the end for.

Basically the reason I'm asking is currently my front end can not handle HD
recordings.  So I would like ti to be read by the card, transcoded, saved to
disk, then played on front end before the show end.

Hopefully that make sense.

Thanks
steve