[mythtv-users] Hauppage Analog Cards, alternatives?

Derek Archer eggman97132007 at mac.com
Fri Aug 29 01:40:45 UTC 2008

Hi all, I just subscribed to the list so forgive me if this question
is already in the current discussions.

I am looking to build a combination back/frontend box. I am currently
on analog cable and plan to remain so for the forseeable future. I
have been trying to find a good dual-tuner, dual-encoder analog card.
The Hauppauge PVR-500 is getting VERY difficult to find in my trials,
and I cannot even order them direct from Hauppauge anymore. Their
official word is the the FCC will not let them ship analog cards due
to the DTV transition. They suggested the HVR series, but as far as I
can tell, they are hit or miss on MythTV compatibility.

One potential alternative I found is the AverMedia AverTV combo card,
which has an analog tuner w/ encoder as well as a QAM digital tuner.
It is PCI Express x1 card and I would like to know if anyone has had
any luck with this or similar cards from AverMedia, or any other
manufacturer. The resources online I have found seem to be somewhat
outdated in regards to these newer cards.

Cheers

Derek