[mythtv-users] mythfrontend HDTV performance on recent AMD chipsets (was Re: X2 5000 enough to play HD?)

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:03:25 UTC 2008

Interestingly, or not; perhaps, but a simple tabulation of the replies
in this thread indicates the following kernels:

Working:

2.6.25-gentoo-r6 kernel (64-bit)
2.6.24 (32-bit)

Not working:

2.6.26.2
2.6.18 (64-bit)

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> ... The AMD chipset is only /very/ recently supported (sometime
>> after 2.6.21),

I think I'm going to abandon CentOS 5.2, since it only has the
2.6.18-kernel, even with updates.  I wanted to escape the constant
Fedora upgrade cycle, but obviously, the chipset doesn't have
appropriate support in 2.6.18.

My old Celeron D 340 (2.93 GHz) with XvMC (GeForce 5200) is
outperforming this system on HD although it can't handle HD at
acceptable levels.  That's driving me nuts.

I read that Mythbuntu has a Live CD option - might be a good way to
test the chipset on a different operating system or kernel without
having to commit to a full installation.