[mythtv-users] Dual Boot?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Aug 27 21:14:57 UTC 2008

OT?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Jonny B <jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com> wrote:
>> An even easier route, which would avoid the mapping, would be to swap
>> the cables on the two drives. Then Winblows would always be !first!,
>> just like it wants to be. You linux drive doesn't care where it is. Grub
>> will go on the second drive, with its "root" at (hd1,0).
>> You just have to remember to set the BIOS to point to the correct drive
>> first.
>> Geoff
>
> This is the solution that worked for me, as Windows doesn't like to
> boot off the secondary drive (in my experience) when it was initially
> installed on the first drive. I had NO END to NTLDR problems until I
> did it this way.
>
> ~Jon

The funny thing is that with the Windows drive in the normal prime
main controller master position where it was before I added the second
drive, it comes up as sdb (hd1)  The linux disk is on a secondary VIA
controller and comes up as sdb (hd0).    Would you suggest putting the
windows drive on the VIA controller and avoiding the switching?

The problem I am having is that windows will not hibernate when called
from grub although it hibernates just fine if I change the boot order
in the bios and boot directly to the windows disk.

Allen

PS.  I am using gmail and am not smart enough to change the subject in
a reply to OT.  In addition, I have been warned not to change subject
lines so not sure it would be correct even if I could.
AE