[mythtv-users] Output from the Hauppauge HD-PVR?]

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Aug 27 04:49:56 UTC 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 9:27 PM, marshall.mcmullen at gmail.com wrote:

> So, on a whim I downloaded and tried playing this on my main frontend.
> I had absolutely no expectations of it actually playing as its specs
> were far below what I thought I would need to play the output from the
> HD-PVR.  But to my total astonishment, it played flawlessly !! 'top'
> reported the system running at around 97-101% during playback. Here
> are the system specs:
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> MEMORY: 2GB
<snip specs>

> This is a mythbuntu system and I haven't done anything special to it.
> The only think unique about it is that it's a diskless system that
> boots off of NFS mounted filesystem over a gigabit ethernet.
>
> So am I crazy ?? I thought there was no way this would play ?

I asked about this in another thread and was told and explained that
my AMD 64 X2 4200+ simply doesn't have the power to play back h.264
video.
In fact, I believe the quote was something emasculating like "woefully
inadequate". Yup. There it is:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/345697#345697
My system proves this. I could not get it to play at all. I have no
idea what magical setting I have somewhere that bogs down my system so
much that it won't play. I'm beginning to think I should reformat my
system and start all over again from scratch and see how that goes.
But thanks for the ray of hope!

-Brad