[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 23:14:03 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> says:
> I would agree that the autoexpire list could be improved to take
> this into account when displaying the list of shows eligable for
> expiration but at first blush, it seems that it would have to take
> into account the current recording schedule in order to make such
> determinations and while possible, again falls into a feature
> request area.

I agree that, if discussing revamping the AutoExpire List, this is
turning into a feature request thread. I do not think such a revamping
is necessary or even (in most cases) desirable, though. There is a
simple solution (if I understand the weightings right): Set
SGweightLocalStarting to 0 by default.

This solution has the advantage of meshing with the exsting AutoExpire
List, the existing documentation, and simple common sense. Advanced
users who prefer the current behavior can change SGweightLocalStarting
to whatever they want. Meanwhile, average users who know enough to set
up a remote NFS/Samba mount (which are pretty easy in the grand scheme
of things Linux and MythTV) should not have to also learn SQL syntax
to manually create the requisite rows in the settings table.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array