[mythtv-users] DVR Capability

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 00:43:54 UTC 2008

2008/8/23 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>> Timecode (burned-in or otherwise) is handy, but it is a far cry from
>>> "proof" of when something happened.
>>
>> I'm sure that the OP has more experience than us regarding the
>> integrity of the video, so I think we should honor his expertise -- of
>> course unless you are in this business.
>>
>> And thus, my OT question. I always wondered how it could be proved
>> that a file had a certain date, or not, or if timecode was real or
>> not. Of course, you only need to convince the jury, but i wonder if
>> timecode is even used in court today. It's easy to change. It's not
>> like audio forensics where  special attention is paid to critiquing
>> background ambience, for example. Or photography forensics that
>> closely scrutinizes photos for photoshop trickery.
>
> A friend of mine once applied for a job with an unnamed federal agency.
> The position involved analyzing video to determine if it had been
> edited. So I know for a fact that they are concerned with this matter.
>
> Given the things that can be done with video and still photos these days
> I'm surprised any of it is acceptable "evidence". I'd guess that the
> most critical thing would be the ability to track exactly where the
> video media was from the time it was shot to the time it was presented,
> as is the case with most evidence.
>
> My friend was offered the job, but he turned it down due to insufficient
> compensation.
>
> beww

I am not an American, nor a lawyer, though from long reading and
videos such as these:
  http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865
It seems that audio/video is mostly used internally for analysis and
not usually presented as evidence.
It is sufficient that an officer takes the stand and _swears_ that
something was said/done.

If this is the case then the timestamps and chain of custody type
issues become moot as only the people in the room during the interview
will be actually testifying as to the events.

So... either you need something certified and locked down (which myth
will not be) or you need something 'good enough' which is a niche myth
may fill, though I think Zone Minder (as suggested earlier by Jay) may
be better here. Myth is not good at arbitrary start/stop recording, it
follows program guides to record a show.

You may find that a simple DVD camcorder will solve this with much
less hassle. I'd tentatively recommend a PVR (tivo like) though that
depends on whether the recordings are for review or archive. Consumer
PVRs are not known for easily getting recordings out again and having
only a single disk can't be trusted for longevity. That said, some
have DVD burners built in and would then be sufficient.

You need to decide on exactly what requirements you have to meet
before looking for a solution.

Hopefully food for thought.
cheers,
Owen.