[mythtv-users] DVR Capability

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 22 22:32:15 UTC 2008

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> You could use MythTV, but it would need to be patched and it's a bit
> of a square peg for this application. Honestly a camcorder with remote
> control and timecode that records directly to DVD might be the right
> tool for this job, then you only need to maintain physical security and
> annotations can be written directly on the disk with a felt tip marker.
> A central DVD copier could be used by the detective to make a copy
> for the district attorney and defence attorney. Someone can be assigned
> the task of resyncing the camcorder's internal clock once a week.

Timecode (burned-in or otherwise) is handy, but it is a far cry from
"proof" of when something happened.

I once saw a news story in NYC where the officer was citing as "proof"
of when an event occurred the timecode in the video. We were rolling on
the floor thinking up ways that could be abused, such as "proving" you
had discovered the New World before Columbus, or even before Leif, the
Son of Eric the Red. :-)

beww