[mythtv-users] FCC Broadcast Digital Channel Requirements

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:22:24 UTC 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 2:16 PM, Phil Bridges wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Chase Douglas
> <chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> It was my understanding that the FCC requires cable companies to
>> transmit, unencrypted, all local broadcast channels over their cable
>> network. For instance, I have the Time Warner Basic Cable package in
>> Columbus, OH that gives me access to most of the analog channels.
>> Although I have not ordered any digital package, I have also been
>> able
>> to receive the digital versions of the local ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS,
>> and The CW channels. I just realized today that I can no longer
>> receive FOX or ABC. Interestingly, they both are subchannels of the
>> same ATSC channel. I called up the Time Warner Cable support line,
>> and
>> I was told that because I do not have any digital package I should
>> not
>> be receiving any digital channels.
>>
>> First, am I correct in my assumption that the FCC requires cable
>> companies to transmit local broadcast channels in all circumstances,
>> analog and digital? Second, if that's true, does anyone know of where
>> I can find the FCC regulations stipulating this in case I have to
>> lodge a formal complaint?
>>

> Are you sure they haven't just remapped the channels?  Comcast is bad
> about doing that in my neck of the woods.

I am fairly certain as I have had my TV rescan for digital channels
and I no longer receive FOX and ABC while I do still receive all the
other channels. In fact, I think this all began because they realized
they weren't encrypting Universal HD. I no longer receive that channel
unencrypted, but that's fine with me as I'm not paying for it.