[mythtv-users] Is my JFS broken ?

r2d2 r2d2z4j6y8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:52:54 UTC 2008

> That's correct, but read errors occur from time to time on
> perfectly-serviceable discs; that's what spare blocks are for! All drives
> that I've tested though, only remap failed blocks on a write attempt.
So, I should try dd for write.

> In this case, my money's on a) filesystem corruption by unclean
> reboot/shutdown, b) a filesystem bug or c) wonky memory causing temporary
or
> permanent corruption.
If I understand I should create a new clean filesystem and copy my remaining
recordings to it.

If it is not a drive problem, is JFS a good choice ? I have been working
with this filesystem for 2 years with no trouble.
When building my mythtvbox I was thinking of JFS (which I choose due to its
efficiency), XFS and EXT3.
I now hesitate to switch back to ext3 as I read this :
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/263001?search_string=%26quot%3Bbest%20filesystem%26quot%3B;#263001
.

Kind regards.