[mythtv-users] Dual-tuner Freesat setup

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Aug 20 10:29:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, August 20, 2008 10:31 am, Mike Baker wrote:
> I'm new here, and after spending several days googling for answers, I
> hope this will be the right place to ask questions!
>
> I would like to build a dual-tuner Freesat box.
>
> Looking at http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_PCI_Cards
> lists a bunch of "experimental" DVB-S2 PCI cards. I was thinking of
> basing things around the Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 card. I wondered
> if anyone has used this, and can either tell me it works or not? Or
> are there any other recommendations?
>
> Of course, if anyone has already built a Freesat mythtv box, and can
> give any advice at all, I would be very grateful!

You only need DVB-S for Freesat at the minute (not S2).  Since S2 support
in Linux seems to still be in the "you need to patch everything yourself"
stage, I'd recommend sticking with S as it will be much simpler.

You can still get BBC HD and ITV HD using DVB-S.  I think I read somewhere
the other day that Channel 4 HD is DVB-S2, but thats encrypted anyway.

I've got a Hauppauge HVR-3000 and a Technotrend S-1501 in my MythTv
server.  The HVR-3000 is a bit of pain because there is no built in kernel
support for it, so I've had to compile linux-dvb outside of the kernel to
get it to work.  The TT-S-1501 has drivers in the current kernel, so thats
much easier to get to work, but I do have the occasional problem with the
remote control not working.

Robert.