[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Answers requested

Robert McNamara iamlindoro at aol.com
Sun Aug 17 15:46:52 UTC 2008

Asking for a firm answer on which processor is enough:

Recently, VBR support for the HD-PVR has been implemented in Myth.
Now, in scenes of high activity, it can still be a bit tough to play,
but in general this has made HD-PVR recordings much easier to play in
most cases.  Because of the alpha nature of all of this, there is no
processor that one can *guarantee* will play all HD-PVR recording
smoothly.  A high-spec dual core processor is a fairly good bet,
especially with forthcoming changes to libavcodec.  A 3.0 Ghz should
work pretty darn nicely, but no guarantees as the HD-PVR's Myth
support really isn't meant for the average user just yet.

Box suggestions:

No idea on this, and no time to Google it for you.  ;)

How do I know if I have a good Rev C1 Unit:

Curious as to how you know this if it's still in the plastic.  ;)  The
short answer is, you've got to try it to find out.  The C2 units have
a fan, C1 units do not.  If it is an early C1 unit, it will work
perfectly.  If it's a later one, it will not.

Requirement of Windows for firmware install:

Yes, this will eventually change when firmware loading is implemented
in the driver.  No ETA on this.

720p vs 1080i:

720p looks better for smooth motion (ie sports).  1080i looks better
for drama.  Various channels broadcast in one or the other as is their
preference/the majority of their material.  Both look great.  I record
at 1080i myself.

When will AC3 Support arrive:

It's been "a week or two" for about six weeks now.  So yeah, no firm ETA.  Soon.

Disk Space of max quality:

Approximately 6.5 GB an hour.

How is the Driver:

Becoming more solid all the time.  My personal preference is to say
that most users who are not at least advanced level troubleshooters
should be holding off as is.  Crashes still crop up and their are
still a number of gotchas.  That said, it is Sooooooo much more stable
than it was even two weeks ago and I would say the day is fast
approaching that it will be usable for most people.

Re: PVR Companion:

The engineer of this device reads this list, and I wouldn't want to
put words in his mouth.  I briefly corresponded with him and I will
say that I am excited about the product.  Perhaps he will chime in.