[mythtv-users] Yet another potential FrontEnd

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Aug 16 22:36:09 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 07:50:52PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> http://www.logicsupply.com/products/mp45_dr?nw=newsletter&ty=1
>>
>> "Can be used in medical or dental offices", wonder what marketing genius
>> came up with that :-)
>
> Probably the Underwriters' Labs', which have special stricter standards
> for such locations -- Sony Pro has traditionally had a line of NTSC
> CRTs specced for this.  PVM-1351MQ, I think, among others.

PVM = Professional Video Monitor. Sony has consumer, industrial and
professional broadcast lines. BVU was "Broadcast Video U-Matic" for example.

Then there was the Ikegami HL-79, probably the most famous tube-type
portable camera. "HL" was supposedly "Handy Looky".

UL is funny, in some cases the consumer standards are actually tougher
than the industrial specs, but in other areas the industrial stuff
actually gets off easier.

But in this case the blurb mentioned med/den offices because it was
"quiet enough to not disturb..."

But I htink we all agree the unit that started this thread is way
over-priced. I initially didn't realize that the $469 price was sans
CPU, RAM and HDD.

beww