[mythtv-users] Backend seems to be crashing frontend

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 14:29:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Allen Edwards <
allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:

> I don't know what to title this.  Yesterday, my frontend started
> locking up when I tried to watch a show.  I restart the frontend and
> can watch most of the shows.  But if I ESC the show, sometimes when I
> just show a black screen.  Once one show won't play, nothing will and
> I either have to restart X or the reboot the computer.
> I have a combined system mythbuntu 8.04 and a frontend only 8.04.1.
> Both frontends experience the same problem, which to me points to the
> backend.  I have had to restart the backend a couple time to get the
> system going again.
> I see lots of errors that just started in the backend log about the
> same time this problem started. Older logs show no errors.  The only
> thing I have done is get this frontend only system running but have
> not touched the combined system at all.
> The most interesting errors from mythbackend.log look like this:
> 2008-08-15 14:18:23.501 DB Error (Error in JobQueue::GetJobCmd()):
> Query was:
> SELECT cmds FROM jobqueue WHERE id = 340;
> Driver error was [2/2006]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
> Database error was:
> MySQL server has gone away

Looks like your database is crashing.  Seems to be a MySQL problem.  I would
suggest updating your mysql-server packages unless you recently updated them
prior to this issue then moving back to the previous version might be an
option.  Check you /var/log/mysqld logs to see what might be going on.  If
the database disappears, Myth will exhibit all sorts of problems.

The script you're looking for is myth_optimize_db.pl I think.  You can also
just use the standard mysqlcheck program (which is what the script does) and
refer to the MySQL documentation on diagnosis and recovery if you have bad