[mythtv-users] Satellite Receiver with ATSC (not analog/NTSC) output on Ch 3 or 4?

Larry on the Dell Laptop larry at foxgulch.com
Wed Aug 13 14:34:52 UTC 2008

Do any of the newer satellite receivers (DishNetwork or DirectTV or ??)
have an output on Ch 3 or 4 whose output is in the newer ATSC format?
The answer is apparently no from all the sources I've checked so far.
Dish technical support was a complete waste of time but Mike from Solid
Signal seemed knowledgeable.  He said there is a BlonderTongue Modulator
which will take composite video and modulate it on a TV channel as ATSC
but the price was approx. $500.

The reason I ask?  I now have newer TV sets that take ATSC in.   My dish
receiver outputs the satellite channel it is tuned to on Ch 3 in so
called analog aka NTSC format.  This arrives and is displayed on my
newer TV degraded in quality.   Since the sets can receive ATSC,
wouldn't it make more sense to have the rear panel output on the
satellite receiver output in ATSC SD format so that it arrives crystal
clear at my new ATSC captable TV set?   This same Ch 3 or Ch 4 ATSC
signal could also be picked up by my growing list of PCs with ATSC tuner
cards, again without degradation caused by NTSC / analog transmission.

Larry