[mythtv-users] Firewire conn. reboots machine instead of powering off

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 07:19:49 UTC 2008

Hi!  I'm having a curious problem with my setup.  When my mythtv machine is connected via 400mbps firewire to a Motorola DCH3200 cable box, and I issue 'poweroff', or whenever mythtv tries to power off the machine, the system reboots instead.  I tested this by unplugging the firewire cable from the cable box and powering down - the machine powers off successfully.  If I leave the firewire cable plugged in, then the machine reboots instead.

Oddly, during the erroneous reboot I lose the image from my HDTV.  My setup is connected via nvidia 7200 gt to an HDTV via component cables.  When the reboot occurs, I don't even see a bios post message.  But I know the machine rebooted because I can ssh into the machine.  Plus, there are no warnings or errors in my log files.

I'm connecting the cable box firewire to my on-board firewire plug of the ABIT AN-M2 nview motherboard.

I also posted this problem in the Gentoo forums in case it was a Gentoo problem.  For that post and further information about my setup, see here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-703678-highlight-.html

Thanks in advance!  This problem is really ruining my recording capabilities, as the machine can no longer shut off when it's done recording.
Sam