[mythtv-users] OT: Problem with gnome-panel

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 05:15:31 UTC 2008

I know this really isn't a gnome support forum, but I'm not exactly
sure where to ask this question, and the problem is only appearing on
my MythTV backend machine.

I have an install of Fedora 8 on this headless master backend (MythTV
0.21) from atrpms.  Occasionally, I use vncserver to start up an X
session, and administer the machine through the VNC.  After running a
"smart update" to get all the recent versions of the packages, the top
menu of my gnome-panel is non-responsive.  So I can't start any apps,
or settings because the Applications/Places/System menu does not
respond to mouse clicks.  The desktop works fine, so I can click on
the Terminal icon, and manually start programs from the command-line;
and the bar along the bottom seems to be working ok (task
manager/desktop switcher).

This happens to my own personal user account, as well as to the root
account.  I tried deleting everything in my /home folder related to
gnome, .gnome, .gconf, etc. and yet the problem seems to persist.  Can
anyone give me some pointers as to what has gone wrong?

Normally, I'd just wipe the machine and reinstall the OS, but when
it's the MythTV master backend, that's not a trivial operation.

Thanks!