[mythtv-users] Suspend on 2.6.26 kernel??

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 03:09:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Brian Foddy <bfoddy at visi.com> wrote:
> I'm still a newbie when it comes to Linux suspending (either to disk or ram),
> but I've been trying on a recently built machine.  It contains a new Gigabyte
> GA-MA78G-DS3H motherboard and Athlon X2-4850 cpu.
>
> When I first built the machine, the suspend was looking very promising on
> 2.6.25, but there was a fatal flaw when resume from RAM where the network
> would be dead;
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/336828?search_string=malformed;#336828
> which I got no responses from but got a few clues on LinuxQuestions.  I was
> also waiting for the 2.6.26 kernel to arrive, hoping it would help.  Using
> the s2ram --force command, the machine on 2.6.25 would go down correctly and
> restart (even from a X session) with everything working except network.
>
> However, my 2.6.26 experience hasn't been as good.  Now it goes through most
> of the suspend steps, but fails to actually idle the machine.  The power
> light and cpu fan are still running, and nothing can wake it up again (power
> button, keyboard, etc).  Suspend to disk results in a similar state.
>
> So given that 2.6.26 was supposed to be a major improvement/fix for suspend,
> am I totally missing something now?  I've now tried 2.6.26.2 with the same
> results.  Did this kernel take such a big step back, or do my tools need
> upgrading, etc.

Here is one of my experiences..
On my laptop I have had a lot of troubles getting suspend and
hibernate to work since about kernel 2.6.25.4. Normally I would just
back down to the last version that worked however doing so decreases
the reliability of the onboard intel wireless nic. I believe for
2.6.26 I had suspend working but hibernate leaves me with an non
functioning X windows on resume with no keyboard or mouse to fix it
although I believe I can ssh in.

John