[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:14:10 UTC 2008

>Since when did this become an MS Office mailing list? ;-)

Since this thread became a discussion of usability and a good number
of us disagree on weather Office2007 is an improvement on usability
(for those who have use it for a long time) or making usability worse
by forcing users to relearn everything they learned over the years.

> Regardless, can we pull this back to what this thread was originally
> about?  Usability in FOSS software, particularly in myth.

The original thread was about an article that basically said that all
open source projects suck, they make a half hearted attempt to clone
old versions of commercial software, they have nothing new to offer,
that they have poorly designed user interfaces, in fact they have
design process at all...

I can not agree with any of these original charges when it comes to
MythTV even though I do believe MythTV needs to improve usability (and
simplify choices) in some areas.

John