[mythtv-users] Freesat

Graham Wood mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Sun Aug 10 10:25:06 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:20:27AM +0100, Roger Fletcher wrote:
> Is it possible to view the freesat equivalent?  If so what card is
> required?
I've been recording successfully with a Nova-S-Plus for a while now.

> I am currently thinking about the Hauppage Wintv Nova-S2 card.  But i am
> finding useful info on this card hard to pin down.
I've not looked for the last few months, but S2 support within linux was a little lacking
when I looked previously.

> The Hauppage website mentions record and watch, my question is does this
> card have a twin tuner type arrangement in it so you can record AND
> watch at the same time, or does it mean record OR watch.
You may be able to record 2 shows from the same multiplex, I wouldn't like to say.  However,
what they're more likely to mean is that the software is not limited to watching or
recording.... You can watch one of your recorded shows whilst recording a new one.

> Sorry for all the daft questions, any help or pointers in the right
> direction would be most appreciated.
The questions aren't daft - at least to me.  I've got a couple of DVB-T cards, and a pair of
the DVB-S-Plus cards (although I've not got the cabling sorted to use them both yet).  DVB-S
seems like a "world of pain" compared to DVB-T.

I'm not sure whether Freesat actually makes use of the "advances" in S2 - so it may make
sense to check with their website for details.  The DVB-S2 stuff (again a few months ago)
seemed to be more tuned for data connections than TV streams.

Graham