[mythtv-users] Is my rig "on the limit" without XVMC?

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Sat Aug 9 15:00:50 UTC 2008

Ray Whiteman <ray.whiteman at consultant.com>, said on Sat Aug 09, 2008 [09:41:48 PM]:
} Hello,
}
} I have been trailing, tweaking and enjoying my combined BE/FE for about
} 6 months now, and the results have been fantastic.
}
} Here is my box
}
} 3 x Leadtek DTV 1000 T's
} 1 x Hauppague PVR-150
} ASUS P-800 E
} Intel Prescott P4 2.8Ghz (533Mhz FSB)
} AGP Generic Nvidia 6600 (NOT a GT)
} 1 x Seagate 250GB SATA I (music, system, ancillary stuff)
} 1 x Seagate 1TB SATA II
}
} I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) , with backports enabled to take me to
} 0.21, Nvidia Drivers 169.12. For TV Playback I use DVI out  @ 1280x720.
} I have found the best results without XVMC with 2x Bob as the
} deinterlacer. Currently that is the setup I am using as my default. I am
} using RTC for timing. I transcode some stuff after hours, and offload
} comm flagging to another slave backend.
}
} Everything is perfect until I get to MPEG2 HDTV and H.264 playback from
} high bitrate BlRray rips. The BluRay I can park as a problem for a while
} but the HDTV is annoying. I get periods while watching recordings  where
} all I see is the occasional "jump" then everything is ok for a while, if
} I jump back and rewatch it, then I see no issues normally, or a jump in
} a different spot. I also occasionally see prebuffer pauses in my FE
} logs, I have not isolated the reason for this but my suspicion is that
} the issue is related.
}
} I know that from my point of view the hardware is delivering above an
} beyond the call of duty, (my mates at work think I am insane for pushing
} the old girl like this). I guess my question is, am I pushing the
} hardware, particularly the CPU and Vid card past it's capability without
} XVMC?  How can I measure this? CPU utilisation tops out during HDTV
} playback currently depending on the content.... But under the
} circumstances..... It is expected :)
}
} I have tried to get XVMC working a few times, (added the Option "NVAGP"
} "1" to my xorg.conf etc), but that totally upsets the system, HD is
} unwatchable, XVMC use crashes the FE, and other problems......
}
} I would just simply toss more money at it and re platform to something
} faster, but I have invested in 4 PCI cards, and PCI motherboards are
} hard to get these days.
}
} Any guidance? Particularly on getting XVMC running.
}
} mythtv-users mailing list
} mythtv-users at mythtv.org