[mythtv-users] Removing Commercials

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 02:43:18 UTC 2008

2008/8/7 Rick Steeves <mythtv at corwyn.net>:
> I'm currently using the Hauptpage Media MVP to view my Myth shows. It
> doesn't seem to include any type of commercial skip. What i want is for the
> commercials to me automatically removed, and am willing to risk the
> commercial skip chopping out parts of my shows.
>
> I followed the instructions from the mythtv wiki for transcoding/removing
> commercials http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Removing_Commercials  under
> "Automatically removing commercials" but the end result appears the same.
> (worht noting that the wiki references the user manual, which just
> references back to the wiki)
>
> I have tried both having the Job "Removing Commercials" as part of the
> recording, or running that job on the show after the recording. I don't
> appear to get the ".old" files referenced in the instructions.
>
> Any pointers on where to debug further?

Based on what you've said, the next think I'd be suspicious of is
whether the script that is supposed to run is running successfully -
particularly if you're expecting .old files that don't appear.  Have
the timestamps or checksums of the recordings in question changed?  Is
there any indication that anything has happened on the filesystem?

If so, then I guess you're into the settings/configuration of the job
itself.  If not, I'd wonder if the script that should be run is being
run, and successfully.

I'm really not sure this comes away as insightful or helpful at
all...I don't manage commercial stripping this way myself.

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine