[mythtv-users] HD playback madness

Florian florian.winterstein at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 18:12:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

I was able to playback HDTV recordings (recorded with the HDHomeRun)
for about six month now. Unfortunately it stopped working a couple of
weeks ago and I can't understand why. I suspect it might has something
to do with a recent Debian x server update to X.Org X Server 1.4.2.

What are the symptoms? HD recordings seems to playback at half the
speed and the audio sounds like it is fading in and out. The CPU
utilization during the playback is only ~35% (on an Athlon XP 2400).
The SD recordings play back fine.

Here is my setup
Athlon XP 2400 with NVidia 6200 using XVMC for the HD playback
Debian testing
xorg-server 2:1.4.2-2 (X.Org X Server 1.4.2)
Running the latest MythTv 0.21-fixes (but I also tried the syncing the
0.21-fixes branch to a 8 weeks old revision which was "known good"
with the same outcome)
Custom build kernel 2.6.26.2 (just upgraded from 2.6.22.9 with no
success either)
NVidia driver 173.14.12 (just upgraded from 173.14.09 which was "known
good" without any luck)

The only thing that comes to my mind is that an Debian X.Org update
somehow broke this. The funny thing is that the CPU utilization during
playback is only about ~30% and I think it used to be about 2x as much
playing back HDTV content on my machine. I was not able to find any
error messages that explain the problem (at least for me).

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks!