[mythtv-users] Always have shows from a specific channel record to a specific tuner

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 5 02:53:42 UTC 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 7:39 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 4, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Aaron Klein wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to have all shows recorded from channel A recorded on
>>> turner 2?  I have two backends and one tuner each.  The primary
>>> tuner
>>> I like to use has issues with reception on three channels.
>>> Interesting enough the tuner is a PVR-350 with hardware encoding.
>>> The
>>> second tuner in the second backend is a software encoder that has no
>>> reception problems with these channels so I want any show selected
>>> be recorded on one of these channels to automatically be recorded on
>>> the other tuner.
>>>
>>> For now I have gone into all of the schedules and specified the
>>> desired tuner but I dont want to have to remember to do this on new
>>> schedules.
>>
>> You need to set up 2 channel lineups (I think the term in mythtv-
>> setup
>> is "video sources"). One with all your channels and one with all but
>> the ones that don't work on that one tuner. Then assign them to each
>> input appropriately. Now you are guaranteed those channels will not
>> be
>> recorded with the tuner that cannot record them.
>
> What will this do with shows that are on the "common" channels - will
> they work alright given that they are in different video sources?

Yes. People do this all the time - including me. I have 2 HD OTA
antennas each pointed in a different direction. Some channels on 1,
some on the other, some on both. I set up my sources for each antenna
and hook them 1 up to 2 tuners and 1 up to another, assign the sources
appropriate and everything works beautifully.