[mythtv-users] Recording the olympics

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Tue Aug 5 02:33:47 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 August 2008, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Brian Foddy wrote:
> > On Monday 04 August 2008, Yan Seiner wrote:
> >> So the Olympics are starting up.  I want to record them but ... the
> >> blocks in Schedules Direct are up to 8 hours.  I don't know how my
> >> system would handle a 30 or 40 GB file, but my guess is that bad things
> >> might happen.
> >>
> >> Is there some way to tell myth to record this but in 1 hour chunks?
> >>
> >> --Yan
> >
> > You can always set a manual recording program, but may I ask why you
> > don't think your machine will take large file sizes?  If you have the
> > disk space, are using suggested settings to reduce fragmentation, things
> > should work just fine.  I've done 4 hour HD recordings at ~30GB without
> > batting an eye.  XFS helps, but if you don't use it then use the show
> > delete.
>
> Well, diskspace I have, but it's the comm flagging that bugs me.  First
> I have to record the whole thing, then I have to wait about the same
> amount of time before it's flagged.  In the meantime, it's recorded 2
> more 5 hour episodes.  So I don't see the commflagging keeping up with
> the recording....
>
> One or two hour chunks would be more manageable.
>
> --Yan

You can watch the recording as its being flagged, you can even flag as its
being recorded.  If the viewing point is flagged with a commercial it skips
it, if the flagging isn't there yet, it doesn't.  Breaking into 1 hour files
won't really change the balance, just might seem that way.

I do sympathize however, the expect a ton of commercials in the broadcasts;
seems every cycle there are even more commercials and non-sports talking, not
to mention the 1000 loops of the same local China helicopter photography of
scenes. Whether or not it will properly detect the gaps, sometimes the
networks play games with scanning software.  While I use scanning frequently,
I find it almost as good to set a 30 second skip ahead and a 15 second skip
back and just jump past them.