[mythtv-users] USB Hard Drive Lifespans and power usage question

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 23:08:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

> So this leads me back to part of my original post:
>
> Am I killing my drives by having their "idle" temp be 53C and 54C and "full
> on HDD chugging" temp be around 63C?

It's hard to say.  Google (which uses a rather large number of hard
drives) did a survey about two years ago, and found that drive
failures increased as drive temperature DECREASED, for drives younger
than 3 years old. High drive temperatures were correlated with
failures only for older drives.

Still, I'd be a little nervous with the 63C temps.

Calvin