[mythtv-users] USB Hard Drive Lifespans and power usage question

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 21:13:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:
> So after finding hddtemp, I was able to get the temps of my drives, but only
> the internal ones:
>
> Internal Drives
> /dev/sda: ST3500830A: 53°C
> /dev/sdb: ST3750640AS: 54°C
> /dev/sdc: ST3750640AS: 63°C
> USB External Drives
> /dev/sdd: ST3120814A: S.M.A.R.T. not available
> /dev/sde: ST3500630AS:  drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature
> sensor.
> /dev/sdf: ST3500830A:  drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature
> sensor.

IMO, anything over 60* is too hot for drives. Many will generate SMART
errors at those temps. I prefer to keep them in the 40*C range myself
when possible, and temps in the mid 50*C ranges are marginal as if the
ambient temps go up, so will the hard drive temps.

-Dave