[mythtv-users] possible (really cheap) frontend?? will this work?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 4 01:45:50 UTC 2008

Gordon McCrae wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Gordon McCrae wrote:

>>> Booting Linux off of USB device, they have a standard BIOS that allows
>>> USB stick, external drives etc. to boot.
>>>
>>> Quite happily runs SD content, even allows some MAME games to run and
>>> firefox etc.
>>>
>> Guess I'll have to look into it further. I have 3 Compaq Evo T20s. Right
>> now I'm using their supplied software to remotely log into a Linux box
>> via xrdp, so I can leave the heat and noise producing machines in the
>> garage and only have to have a tiny, quiet machine in the LR. I don't
>> think this would work for video though, as I have only frame buffer type
>> graphics and a 300Mhz. CPU.
>>
>> I had one of them apart and noticed that Wyse had built it.
>>
>> I also have a couple of Media MVPs which work well with Myth, within
>> their limitations (SD only, need to have mpeg2 etc.).
>>
>> beww
>>

> Sounds like their based on the older Wyse models like the 3125 which are
> too slow to do video. Only the V series onwards is any use for this.
>
> They are based on standard Mini PC motherboards with PC-Card, USB,
> IDE,and a 800Mhz or 1Ghz CPU.
>
> Video playback is fine up to 1024x1024, so no HD, but plays SD fine, and
> I've no interest in HD as I've no way to record it.

Interesting, I'll keep my eyes open around the surplus yards for the
faster units.

I never thought a 300Mhz. CPU would play mpeg2, but they make nice
remote terminals and the price was right. I do wish they had a DB
network interface though.

I have a "U-Buddie" with a 700Mhz. VIA Samuel CPU, but I suspect it
would be marginal at best, might give that a try. While small it is
noisy, those cheap little fans :-(

Thanks for the info.

beww