[mythtv-users] HD Help - Slow Guide

Bill Stewart wstewart at hgrace.com
Mon Aug 4 01:36:23 UTC 2008

I have two frontends, on one (1) when diplaying HD, the guide is very, very slow to respond to key presses.  On the other (2), its actually a slower processor but very responsive in the guide.

On (1), there is a dual processor (T2500 2GHz dual), the xorg process is at 98% of CPU and mythfrontend is at 30%.

On (2) there is one processor, P4 at 2.4Ghz, the xorg process is at 10% and mythfrontend at 53.5%.

Both have identical video profiles in the mythtv frontend settings.

The main difference is that (1) is running Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) with a Nvidia 8400GS and more recent Nvidia driver and a custom 2.6.24 kernel.

(2) is Ubuntu fiesty (7.04) with an Nvidia 6200, older Nvidia driver and custom 2.6.20 kernel.

In both cases the kernel is optimized (ie. 1000Hz, etc).

Any suggestions as to why the faster machine performs worse with HD material?  I've just started to dig into the problem, but I am hoping someone else may have encountered a similar problem as there are a lot of variables to check.