[mythtv-users] Holtek PC Remote Control

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 02:54:49 UTC 2008

> I have the same remote. Would please tell me how you setup this remote
> control for MythTV ?

This remote can work as a USB keyboard connected via USB (the IR
receiver). So I've turned off lirc and just use it as if it was a
remote keyboard. I believe the keystrokes transmitted are as follows
(the right hand column shows the MythTV function I'm using that
keystroke for).

1         1
2         2
3         3
4         4
5         5
6         6
7         7
8         8
9         9
0         0
*         *
#         Shift+3
Vol+      NONE
Vol-      NONE
Ch+       Prior
Ch-       Next
Mute      NONE
Start     Alt+Super+Return
Aspect    Ctrl+Shift+z
Down      Down
Up        Up
Right     Right
Left      Left
OK        Return
Back      BackSpace             Escape
More      Menu                  More information
TV        Ctrl+t                Pop-up Menu
PC        NONE
REW       Ctrl+Shift+b
PLAY      Ctrl+Shift+p
FWD       Ctrl+Shift+f
STOP      Ctrl+Shift+s
REPLAY    Ctrl+b                Prev Ads
PAUSE     Ctrl+p                Pause/Play
SKIP      Ctrl+f                Skip Ads
RECORD    Ctrl+r                Record
Video     Ctrl+e                MythVideo
Music     Ctrl+m                Play Music
Pictures  Ctrl+i                MythGallery
MyTv      Ctrl+Shift+t
Guide     Ctrl+g                Program Guide
RTV       Ctrl+o
Help      F1
Squares   Alt+Return
Radio     Ctrl+a
DVD       Ctrl+Shift+m
Audio     Ctrl+Shift+a
Title     Ctrl+u                TV Recording Playback

One little problem with some of these key combos is that they can't
all be mapped to MythTV (eg Alt+Super+Return) and some of don't seem
to transmit a keystroke (eg Mute, VOL+ etc) so you can't use these
buttons on the remote. Also, you can't map triple keystrokes such as
Ctrl-Shift-A through the Myth UI - you have to do update the jump
points manually in MySQL. An example of the SQL to use is:

            mysql> update keybindings set keylist=',,<,Ctrl+Shift+r'
where hostname = 'your.mythtv.box' and action='RWNDSTICKY';

It's a little bit of a pain but once done it all works fine. I'm very
pleased with this setup now and the remote is very good. One thing to
watch out for is the "Mouse" button on the remote - if you press that
it seems to toggle off transmission of keystrokes. So, if your remote
stops working, just try pressing that button and it might toggle
everything back to working order again.

I've CC'd the list in case anyone else find this helpful.

Good luck,
Phill