[mythtv-users] DVD jukebox?

William Munson william_munson at comcast.net
Tue Apr 29 21:45:11 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> If you want to be *totally* legal I suspect that this would be
> considered a "public performance", and therefore playing "store
> bought" DVDs in any manner would be a violation of  "licensed only for
> private viewing in homes... any other use constitutes..."
>
> Personally I'd guess you would not really have to worry about the FBI
> or other local authority crashing your doors in, but I'm not an
> attorney, nor do I play one on TV.
>
> I guess to be totally safe you would have to obtain public performance
> rights for each of the DVDs, probably a lengthy and difficult procedure.
>
> I ran into a similar situation in trying to donate DVDs to a local
> V.A. Hospital, they were unwilling to take the risk.
>
> I think you really have to consult an attorney who is up on the
> current law on these matters in your jurisdiction.
>
> Silly, I know, but the law is the law...

As long as they are not charging to view the movie the risk is so small
its not worth mentioning. Its basically the same as one of the dvd
rental stores playing a movie repeatedly on the in-store tv to entice
the viewer to rent it. In the absolute letter of the law, its illegal
but nobody is going to waste the time and money to follow up especially
with the recent stinging defeats in court. You are getting a bit farther
into the grey area once you rip and decrypt the video but if you own the
dvd then I think you should be safe for the same reasons.

Now if you place that viewing station somewhere that is not directly
accessable from the street (In a room you need to admit them to as part
of the admission process) then it becomes a private viewing, not for
profit. Of course I am not a lawyer however I play one online just for
fun. :^)

William