[mythtv-users] DVD jukebox?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 21:00:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> Ignacio Valdes
> > Hi,
> >
> > I work in a mental hospital. We frequently have very agitated, upset
> > people in the hospital that sometimes have to wait for what can be a
> > lengthy admissions process. We have had great success in calming
> > things down with good G-rated type DVD movies on a Panasonic 5 disc
> > DVD player. The problem is that it is semi-automatic, you still have
> > to press change DVD and the play button several times to get past the
> > main menu and other stuff. When things are really hopping, it is a
> > pain to tend the machine.
> >
> > 1) Is there a player such as MythTV that we could simply load our
> > 10-15 original store bought DVD's and play them without intervention
> > for days at a time?
> > 2) Is this something that MythTV or others that can handle this in a
> > fully-automatic way?
> > 3) Does someone have something like this for sale so that I don't have
> > to configure much? If so, where?
>
> Build a box with a pile of USB DVD players.  Since you play one at a time,
> you could hang 4 from a hub with no problems.

That's too expensive, power hungry, and complicated to build. I have a
Windows 2003 server with a shared 750GB disc loaded with ISO rips of  DVDs.
I rip all my movies in Windows using either DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink or
Ripit4me.

I play the DVDs over Samba using XBMC for Linux (still pre-alpha) and XBMC
for Xbox, MythTV's Video Manager, as well as VLC media player in Windows.
XBMC enables you to build playlists that you could then loop. I have XBMC
for Linux installed on my MythTV box, so if you're already running Myth
there's no reason to buy more hardware.

You don't need a separate server to hold your DVD images, just a big enough
disk in the computer you plan on playing the DVDs on.