[mythtv-users] DVD jukebox?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 20:57:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Ignacio Valdes <ivaldes at hal-pc.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I work in a mental hospital. We frequently have very agitated, upset
>  people in the hospital that sometimes have to wait for what can be a
>  lengthy admissions process. We have had great success in calming
>  things down with good G-rated type DVD movies on a Panasonic 5 disc
>  DVD player. The problem is that it is semi-automatic, you still have
>  to press change DVD and the play button several times to get past the
>  main menu and other stuff. When things are really hopping, it is a
>  pain to tend the machine.
>
>  1) Is there a player such as MythTV that we could simply load our
>  10-15 original store bought DVD's and play them without intervention
>  for days at a time?
>  2) Is this something that MythTV or others that can handle this in a
>  fully-automatic way?
>  3) Does someone have something like this for sale so that I don't have
>  to configure much? If so, where?
>
>  Many thanks!
>
>  -- IV

I'm not sure what the legal ramifications would be but you really
wouldn't even have to use MythTV.

You could rip the movies only (strip out everything you don't need)
and either re-burn them since the DVD changer would just start playing
the movies. Or leave them as .ISO's on the hard disk and use a simple
script to use mplayer to play them in an infinite loop.