[mythtv-users] Dual monitors solved

allene222 nabble at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Apr 29 20:36:43 UTC 2008

This email documents the solution to my dual display question.

My setup has a TV with SVideo input and a projector with 720p DVI
input.  I want to be able to use either one but not both at the same time.

First I configured my Nvedia 6200 for dual display mirror.  This didn't
work.  The resolution was set to low on both monitors and the picture
was jerky -- probably out of CPU cycles.

Then I set it up for dual monitors extended desktop.  That didn't work
either as when looking at the TV, it only showed part of the desktop.  I
guess it was assuming the DVI monitor was on as well.

So, just simple dual desktop and restart X with whatever monitor I want
to use connected and the other one (off or disconnected -- have not
verified off is good enough yet).  Anyway, with the DVI disconnected,
myth automatically starts on the SVideo.  With both or DVI connected, it
starts on DVI.  I believe my projector looks missing when off so this
should work.

Allen