[mythtv-users] HDMI out

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 17:01:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:47 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 08:36:51AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>  > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > <SNIP>
>  > >
>  > >  of course, with Myth being ported to windows, I wouldn't be surprised
>  > >  if we all start running MythTV on linux for our backends and MythTV on
>  > >  Windows for our frontends in order to take advantage of "proper"
>  > >  BluRay playback in Windows...
>  > >
>  > >
>  > I hate to say it but I agree. What I'm seeing here is that with the
>  > far lower WAF of 0.21 vs 0.20 (due to severe stuttering) everyone is
>  > taking advantage of NetFlix's Instant Watch service. My son's given up
>
>     It's funny you should mention stuff like this because at least in
>  terms of WAF, the quality of recording playback doesn't matter so much
>  anymore.

Agreed. No one much cares about the quality of PVR-150 recording SD
TV. It might not be quite as good as watching live but it's good
enough. mostly I think this stuff just fills time so that no one has
to sit in a silent room! (Nominally I listen to music most of the
time.)

Our issue here is only that 0.21 stutters so badly and I cannot find a
solution. I've played with profiles. that didn't help. the problem
comes and goes. It seems to be somewhat specific to the media. One
program will stutter. I swicth to a different one it doesn't. I come
back the first it does. They are all SD programs recorded by PVR-150's
and 250's. I don't get it. 0.20 was nice and the wife isn't happy.

> A lot of stuff that we might rent or get on netflix I've just
>  been buying it. A lot of this stuff is cheaper to get on DVD (especially
>  TV reruns) versus Netflix/Unbox/iTunes.

Yeah, but then I have to store it and walk around to find it to watch.
We haven't moved to ripping DVDs and having them online but once we do
that problem will be solved.

>     HD has been a problem though and I think I've finally managed to
>  work through that. Although I am not sure I've seen the wife watch
>  anything non-ripped from since before the 0.21 release.
>

>  > on Linux completely, but that's mostly because he's 16 now and not 12
>  > and I don't have the energy to fight about it. ;-) My wife wants to
>  > run Linux for her desktop but watch NetFlix on the big screen. Having
>  > a real Myth frontend on a windows box could be nice as it supposes
>  > that I can switch between Myth and NetFlix without so many reboots.
>  > BluRay is another good reason although we don't use it yet.
>
>     I've got a copy of AnyDVD primed for precisely this.
>
>     As you might have guessed, we don't really mess with physical
>  media in this house anymore... it's very cool.

Completely agree. I watch 2-3 media based movies a week. Just new
releases from NetFlix. Most everything else is on a disk somewhere.

- Mark