[mythtv-users] MythFrontend on the Nokia n800

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Tue Apr 29 16:50:57 UTC 2008

>I needed to transcode video down to 320x240 and rotated 90 deg
>(the Sharp
>screen is 480x640 native) and 15 FPS to get acceptable video and
>low-enough CPU usage.  The screen is small enough where this makes no
>difference; visually the detail is similar to native DVD
>resolution on a
>big-screen LCD.
>
>So yes, it's possible to show video, but there has to be a heck of a
>backend transcoding in realtime...
>
>--Yan

That's too bad. My verizon phone can play my mythrecordings just fine at
640x480 and 30fps in xvid format. I was actually thinking of getting one of
the N800's cause of the bigger screen, but if you have to transcode that
much, seems like a waste. I do transcodes of my videos anyways, so for me,
it's just a matter of copying it over to my phone and playing it, no
additional transcoding needed.

-Steve