[mythtv-users] DirecTV, PVR 350 & surround sound, mutually exclusive?

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 16:33:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Scott Harris <mythtv at webhounds.net> wrote:
> I've checked through the archives and have seen others
>  ask, but not directly with directv.  Is it possible,
>  with this card or another, to get surround sound from
>  a directv satellite receiver?
>
>  My surround sound is working great for movies, I see
>  the nice little blue Dolby/DTS light come on and it
>  makes me happy ;)
>
>  With anything coming from the satellite it is always
>  just stereo.

You aren't going to get Dolby Digital out of a stereo analog output -
you'd need to connect a digital output of the satellite receiver to
some sort of digital input on the PC, and then mux the audio into the
video.  OTOH, it appears that the Hauppauge box (if it ever supports
Linux) has a digital input on it that would, presumably, allow you to
record the digital audio along with the component video.