[mythtv-users] Constant Video stalls/lockups - looking for suggestions

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Tue Apr 29 15:23:51 UTC 2008

Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am having a bit of trouble with video playback - both TV (PAL SD) and
> videos of various types (avi, mpg etc). I am running MythBuntu with .021
> on a 1Ghz Pentium III / 512Mb ram / FX5200. I was running 7.10 and
> upgraded last night to Hardy to see if the problem would go away.
>
> Playing *anything* will result in the video freezing for up to 30 secs
> and this happens randomly and sometimes more than once. Videos are on a
> network share via NFS and do the same whatever I use as the player
> Internal, Xine, MPlayer. It doesn't matter if there is anything
> recording or not - this machine is a combined frontend/backend. This
> makes it real hard to watch things like Buffy and Dr Who!!! :)
>
> Here's the kicker.... I installed (compiled) XBoxMediacenter for Linux
> on this machine just to take a look. Somehow, it plays anything and
> everything perfectly - no jumping, no freezes - just clean video playback.
>
> My question is: What should I be looking into to get MythFrontEnd
> playing just like XBoxMediacenter?  I must say that prior to installing
> MythBuntu I had standard Ubuntu with a custom compiled Myth and did not
> have these problems. I tried out Mythbuntu for the ease of it all after
> going down a different track so to speak. I know it can't be the machine
> because of XBMC playing fine so it has to be some settings somewhere.
>
> Any and all help appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Bruce
> ______________________
Answering my own post, I think I have fixed my particular problem. I
replaced the FX5200 / 128Mb / Composite Out with an FX5500 / 256Mb /
SVideo Out and along with the Slim playback setting, videos sourced off
an NFS mount now play nice and smooth, no glitches. I also tried the
Normal setting but got a couple of video glitches but perfect audio, not
quite as good as Slim. So at this point I am happy. Other with this
problem may like to investigate a slightly better video card to run with
0.21.

Cheers
Bruce