[mythtv-users] RTJPEG, MPEG4 and analog TV

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Mon Apr 28 21:34:16 UTC 2008

Kevin Bailey wrote:

> It is a Sempron, but I haven't specifically seen any problems
> with performance. I was just hoping to keep it working lightly
> since it has more diskspace than spare cycles. Your experience implies
> that there's not much difference between RTJPEG and MPEG4 ?

No, not exactly...I just meant that encoding two to MPEG4 and
decoding/watching one of them is within the realm of possibility with
that hardware. Doing the same but with RTJpeg is definitely less
strenuous (at full speed: 2.4GHz processor usage is at about 77%...I can
clock it down to as low as 1.8GHz fixed and it is still okay...anything
less and it can't quite keep up).

Cheers,
Jesse