[mythtv-users] HDTV solution @1080i ???

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Mon Apr 28 05:29:49 UTC 2008

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com wrote:
> Are you getting full 1080i on your display through
> VGA? I could be way off, but that seems odd, unless
> you are scaling to a lower res mode. Which Samsung, if
> you don't mind? I too am not too worried about XvMC,
> since some of the content may very well end up being
> mpeg4, and the planned E8400 Intel chip should handle
> the decoding easily.

I don't remember the exact model number, but it's got VGA & HDMI inputs,
and I found the VGA input actually looked better... why would think it
would have to do any scaling? VGA itself can handle higher resolutions
than HD TV (my old CRT monitor at work used to run at 1600x1200 for
example).

Also, it's 1080p, not 1080i. There's no point sending an interlaced
signal to a progressive display -- you either get the TV to deinterlace
it, or you get MythTV to do it. I figured with all the options Myth has
for deinterlacing, I'd be better off with that than whatever the TV
itself does.

Dean.