[mythtv-users] HDTV solution @1080i ???

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 03:45:08 UTC 2008

After 4.5 years doing myth in SD I'm getting ready to
go high-def. Unfortunately, my research has so far
indicated that high-def myth is a combination of
crapshoots and settling for less. Not a fault of Myth,
per se, more of a lack of support by GPU suppliers,
nvidia and Intel included.

That said, I'd really like to know what people have
working for full 1080i hi-def playback, on a 1080x1920
native display. Specifically, the combination of:

1) video card
2) television
3) link between video card and television

which gives 1080i without jumps, tearing, combs, sync
issues, etc. Oh, and without crashing the system, too.
I don't mind outputs to a 1080p mode with
deinterlacing, as I understand that should work
decently. I'm planning on a system built around an
Intel E8400 so CPU shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't purchased the new hardware yet (including
mobo or video card) and I haven't got a TV yet, though
I was leaning towards Sharp Aquos or an LG. But I
don't want to go into this blind. I've seen nothing
but problems as I've searched the forums, googled,
etc. (Just the initial research has taken me nearly 20
hours so far.)

Best I can tell so far is that the most trouble-free
option is to use YPbPr component out with a supporting
nvidia-based card. That's kinda sad to go analog in a
digital world, and it requires slightly fancier video
cards. But if that's the most reasonable option I'll
do it.

So in summary, what do you have working
(TV/GPU/connection) for full uncompromised 1080i playback?