[mythtv-users] OT Mythgame advice for non-gamer

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Apr 27 20:00:38 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> The biggest thing I don't understand is why they all seem to have to
> involve violent killing, the more so the better. Surely there must be
> a way to develop hand/eye coordination without mass murder.

I think there's a bit of confirmation bias at work here.  There are
actually lots of games that don't involve those things, but since this
is a hot button issue for you you're only going to notice the ones that do.

Something to keep in mind about video games, especially the first-person
3D sorts of games that I suspect you're thinking of, is that they've
become extremely cinematic, with character development and involved
plots.  I'm guessing the reason many of them are violent is the same
reason many movies are violent.  The threat of violence adds urgency and
suspense to a plot, and there's some part of the human psyche that wants
to experience the emotional rush of seeing something violent and
disturbing while remaining physically safe.