[mythtv-users] Constant Video stalls/lockups - looking for suggestions

Mark Himsley mark at mdsh.com
Sun Apr 27 14:41:43 UTC 2008

Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Mark Himsley <mark at mdsh.com> wrote:
>> Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
>>
>>  > Playing *anything* will result in the video freezing for up to 30 secs
>>  > and this happens randomly and sometimes more than once. Videos are on a
>>  > network share via NFS and do the same whatever I use as the player
>>  > Internal, Xine, MPlayer. It doesn't matter if there is anything
>>  > recording or not - this machine is a combined frontend/backend. This
>>  > makes it real hard to watch things like Buffy and Dr Who!!! :)
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I'm having similar issues, only more so. I cannot watch anything in
>>  MythTV. I get a second or two of moving video+audio then a freeze for 10
>>  seconds - rinse and repeat.
>>
>>  I was using v2.1 on Ubuntu Gutsy without an issue. Upgraded to Ubuntu
>>  Hardy and it's all gone pare shaped.
>>
>>  Note though that recordings happen perfectly and I can mythtranscode
>>  programmes out of MythTV and view them in Mplayer and VLC. Even more
>>  silly, when I'm in MythTV frontend -> Media Library -> Watch Recordings
>>  the mini-preview video plays perfectly!
>>
>>  So essentially so long as I don't want to watch programmes in MythTV
>>  frontend then it's all ok :-(
>>

> What playback profile are you using?
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles)

It's set to CPU+ - I think I tweaked it a little from the original so
for the res <= 720x576 & res >0x0 it's set to 'standard' decode, xv-blit
render with softblend OSD and it's kernel deinterlacing or linear blend
as the fallback. CPU usage is less than 40% - this setup worked fine
before hardy so it should not be a CPU issue.

Having you mention looking at the playback profiles I tried the opengl
renderer and I get video playback - almost stutter free, although the
CPU is approaching 100%. I therefore presume that something important is
different in Hardy with regard to the way video works in X. It would be
nice to have working video and not 100% CPU.

Thanks for the help so far :-)

--
Mark