[mythtv-users] Trying to get XVMC to work.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 25 19:41:42 UTC 2008

stuart wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org
>> <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Chris Vargas wrote:
>>      > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Mitch <mitchell.gore at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:mitchell.gore at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>      >
>>      >> Did you config the XvMCConfig file?
>>      >>
>>      >> [myth at mythtv ~]$ cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
>>      >> libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
>>      >> [myth at mythtv ~]$
>>      >
>>      >
>>      > I seem to have the same problem as the original poster: I need to
>>     enable XvMC to play back HD recordings, but when it's enabled I get
>>     a black screen and have to kill mythfrontend.
>>      >
>>      > I have the XvMCConfigFile as follows:
>>      >
>>      >> root at fe01:/home/mythtv# cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
>>      >> /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
>>

>>     It should just be /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic
>>
>>     The system already knows that it is looking for a library and you are
>>     telling it to look for /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1.so
>>     <http://libxvmcnvidia_dynamic.so.1.so/>
>>
>>     Been there, done that, wasted lots o' time.....
>>

>> I'm not sure either is right as on my working system it is:
>>
>> cat /[root at unichrome ~]# cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
>> libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
>> No path, includes the so.1
>>
>> Kevin
>
> If I do the following...
>
> ls -lat `locate libXvMCNVIDIA`
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     23 Apr 15 08:19 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1
> -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.169.12
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     23 Apr 15 08:19
> /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.169.12
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 152808 Apr  5 20:05 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.a
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 139604 Apr  5 20:05 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.169.12
>
> ...I see where everything (both libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1 &
> libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1) is pointing back to libXvMCNVIDIA.so.169.12.
>   So I am thinking everyone's probably correct about what is working for
> them.

You may have pointed to the problem. I use an nvidia card in the desktop
at work and I NEVER got it to work correctly with the 169.12 version
driver. If you go to the nvidia page where you downloaded that driver,
and click on the 'archive' link immediately underneath the link to the
169.12, you will be directed to a page where you can download the
171.06.01 driver. It seems to work!

Try the 171.06.01 driver and the tricks reported here!

Secondly, I think that there has been a change in the effect of the
Option "XvMCUsesTextures" "boolean" line. The latest README states "
Default: false (video overlay is used when available)". So it *may* now
be required that this line be 'true' for force XvMC ON....but that may
affect the colour in  the OSD...I do NOT know at this point (Myth is
compiling as I write!).

Thirdly, nvidia has used a symlink to the '_dynamic' driver for some
time, so you can upgrade the driver (with its version-specific name),
without having to hand-revise files.
Geoff