[mythtv-users] Advice on a low power server/backend?

Sarah Katherine Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Thu Apr 24 15:10:37 UTC 2008

Mythbackend's generally require disk IO more than anything, unless
you're doing a lot of transcoding, which is obviously CPU intensive,
conversely if your mail server is going to be running something like
SpamAssassin then it's going to need LOTS O' RAM.   I'd say your on the
money with 2GB, I think the laptop SATA drive should be able to cope
with what you're talking about; they're quite quick.

I would, through previous bad experiences, avoid VIA and SiS chipsets
along with all motherboards made by ECS.  They tend to have oddbod
issues which only show themselves when under load... which is where
you'll be transcoding/commflagging.

If you can get an Athlon for just a little more; I'd go for that instead
IMHO.  Indeed if the budget will stretch get a low end Core 2 and it'll
make your electricity bills not a great deal bigger, they're remarkably
energy efficient beasties.  But if it won't get the AMD unit.