[mythtv-users] Advice on a low power server/backend?

lindsay.mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 24 06:12:53 UTC 2008

Hi all - planning on building a low power quiet server, it
will be on 24/7 and I'm concerned re not just power
consumption but the damn thing overheating and burning the
house down :)

It will be used as a myth backend (3 DVB tuners), but also
as a mail and file server - light weight duties, only two
accounts on the mail server.

So I'm looking at:
VIA MM3500 Motherboard
VIA C7 1.5GHz CPU, VIA CN896/VT8237A Chipset, Integrated
VGA, PCI Express x16, SATA, LAN, 8-Ch Audio, Micro-ATX, 2 x
DDR2 (MAX 2GB), 1 x PCI Slot, 4 x USB2.0

2GB Kingston RAM

1 PCI WinFast T1000
1 USB Dual Tuner LifeView TV Walker

250GB Notebook SATA II Drive

Case - Antec maybe?

No monitor etc - Headless.

The VIA is cheap (AU$100) and I'm presuming quiet and low
power. But I could easily get a Athlon64 LE-1600 2200 and a
cheap mother board for a little more - perhaps that would be
better?

Would I be pushing it to run a MythBackend and a mail server
on this? from what I've observed mythbackend requires very
little CPU to record, even multiple simultaneous programs.
I would be running commercial detection as well though.

I guess it would *really* be pushing it to add a VirtualBox
session running XP :)

Thanks,

Lindsay

Lindsay