[mythtv-users] uPNP hardware recommendation..

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Thu Apr 24 00:09:30 UTC 2008

Misty P wrote:
> stuart wrote:
>> As for UPNP devices ... just understand there may still be problems
>> with the myth-back-end upnp server.  I haven't invested the time, but
>> I think there are some mysql timeouts that make the UPNP clients I
>> have (Netgear MP101, Popcorn Hour & Galaxy 3500) not work well with
>> the mythtv-upnp server.
>
> What version of mythtv are you running?  I'm running 0.21, and UPnP has been
> near rock solid for me.
>
> I say *near* rock solid because if I reboot my backend, I can access videos
> but not recordings on a reboot.  If I then SSH into the backend and restart
> the backend process, it'll work just fine for both videos & recordings.
> Bizarre?  Yep.  But it's 100% reproduceable and I rarely reboot my backend
> so it's "good enough" for me.  (Eventually I'll get around to filing a bug
> report.)
>
> BTW, I'm using a ZyXEL DMA-1000 (non-W) as my mythTV UPnP box.  For $100
> ($150 with $50 rebate) out the door, I couldn't come anywhere *close* with
> anything else.

I'm using 21 Debina / Unstable.  The videos work fine.  I have problems
with trying to access recordings.  It would appear I can get to
recordings if I only have to use the first menu.  However, more than one
menu and I'm sunk.  For instance I can play back recording if they
appear on the screen right off.  But if I have to scroll or negotiate
through more then 1 menu - the box just sits there.  This happens on
both of my Syabas / SigmaDesign boxes.

For music, my MP101 netgear box gets back more then it can handle.  I
see Music, Video, ect.  Obviously it can only handle music.  Once in
that menu I see 2 choses: titles and albums.  I should look into this
some more, but I think I only see 1 menu (list of about 10 titles) of
songs and I can not get more (can not scroll off the end of the list and
get more).  For albums, I see the first album title which is then
repeated over and over again.

I remember talking to the (or one of) the UPNP authors months ago about
this.  He asked me to log the transaction, but I've too many irons in
the fire, my bad.  Perhaps later on this week.

If you are looking for a UPNP music server that appears solid I've had
good luck w/Twonkeyvision (spelling?).  The music only version is, I
think, free.  And for videos you might try SwissCenter or WizD.  I
haven't yet, but both are, I believe, specifically designed to work with
Syabas / SigmaDesign players. When put together, I believe these servers
and clients go a bit beyond ordinary UPNP with some extended HTML
features that may help w.r.t. menus and the like.

I would like to see SwissCenter/WizD like support on the mythbackend.
There are dozen of Syabas / SigmaDesign clients that could take
advantage of this.  It does fall short of a real front end, but would be
better then just plain UPNP.