[mythtv-users] Help debugging XvMC freezes

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Apr 23 16:59:32 UTC 2008

>>>  humm 7300LE, that's similar to the 7300 is in the AppleTV. I would
>>>  experience random freezes and green blocky video corruption using
>>>  XvMC until I under-clocked the gpu. See
>>>  http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/UpdateNvidiaDriver for
>>>  details.
>
>Hmmm, interesting thought!  I tried underclocking it from 450 MHz to 400
>MHz, but got another freeze not too far in.  So I'm tending to think this is
>a nvidia driver issue.  (happy happy joy joy...   why did I buy this card
>again?)
>
>Actually, second thought...  did you underclock the GPU, or the memory?
>I've been focusing on the GPU, maybe I should underclock the graphics card's
>memory?
>
>I'll have to do some more playing around, see if I hit pay dirt with
>anything.

I went from 360Mhz on the GPU to 200MHz, and to compensate a little
also when from 720MHz on VRAM to 800MHz. This drastic decrease in GPU
clock did not effect XvMC very much. My testing show it was more
sensitive to VRAM clock than GPU clock. At it is, this setting added
5 percent or less to the CPU when doing XvMC decode of 1080i mpeg2.
So in addition to solving the hang/video glitch I has quite happy
that I still had the ponies to do 1080i mpeg2 decode.

make sure the under-clock was taken

nvidia-settings -q all

should show the new setting.

Driver version depends on which nvidia card you have, the AppleTVs
7300 is a mobile chipset and mobile chipsets can only be under/over
clocked using the 169.xx series and only by passing some module
option, the atv-bootloader link has details on that.