[mythtv-users] uPNP hardware recommendation..

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Wed Apr 23 13:48:07 UTC 2008

Damian O'Sullivan wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I was going to build a second FE but figured that a uPNP hardware device
> would be just as good. Can anyone recommend one? I do not use HD yet and
> would have to have wireless. It would be just for music and video off
> the mythtv backend. I was thinking of a PS3 but seen as I am not much of a
> gamer that would be overkill. Oh and am in Ireland so can't really order
> from the US..
>

> PS. Does anyone know a good windows s/w client?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Damian O'Sullivan  Tel: 087 2241456    damian at linux.ie

I happened across your post and the followup's a month later.  Wireless,
myth-front-end-like-application, music, low power, no HD ... ?  Can't
believe no one pointed you to mvpmc.org.

The difficult part is setting it up.  the MediaMVP device needs to be
served it's software every time it's powered down / up (which, need not
really ever happen).  That means a server has to be configured -
probably the myth-back-end computer.

As for UPNP devices ... just understand there may still be problems with
the myth-back-end upnp server.  I haven't invested the time, but I think
there are some mysql timeouts that make the UPNP clients I have (Netgear
MP101, Popcorn Hour & Galaxy 3500) not work well with the mythtv-upnp
server.  And if they don't work well, then these similarly made boxes
(i.e. Syabas software & Sigma Design chips) probably will not work well
either:

>     * ADS Media Link
>     * Buffalo LinkTheater
>     * Elgato Eyehome
>     * H&B DNX 8620
>     * IO-Data Linkplayer and Linkplayer2
>     * Lite-On 2010
>     * Momistu V880N
>     * Netgear EVA700
>     * Neuston Virtuoso MC-500
>     * Pinnacle Showcenter 1000, 200 and 250HD
>     * Snazio 1300, 1310 and 1350
>     * Zensonic Z400
>     *  Gateway ADC-320
>     * Go Video D2740
>     * Go Video D2730
>     * Kenwood NHT-S815DV
>     * Kenwood NHT-S810DV
>     * Kenwood VRS-N8100
>     * KISS DP-1504
>     * Redbell DVHD100 (patches to work on the way)
> - I-O Data LinkPlayer
> - Buffalo LinkTheater
> - Snazio Net Cinema
> - H&B DNX-8620
> - Quartek WHD-500
> - Quartek I-Box 800
> - Transgear DVX 700
> - Transgear DVX 500
> - Pinnacle SC 200
> - Omisys DVD PN210V
> - DigitalRise Xstream Player

...sorry if there are any dups, I just copied and pasted the lists from
the Swiscenter and WizD web sites.